NEVILLE SADLER COURT IN BEESTON TO BE REDEVELOPED AS STUDENT CLUSTER FLATS
Councillors give green light for more than 80 students beds to be built in Beeston
Councillors voted in favour of the project on Wednesday (February 13), during a Broxtowe Borough Councilplanning meeting.
Developers want to transform a site consisting of 28 flats, called Neville Sadler Court, in Fletcher Road fronting the tram lines, into 20 cluster flats providing 83 beds for students.
A spokesman for Broxtowe Borough Councilsaid: "The application to change the use of 28 flats to student accommodation (17 cluster flats), plus the construction of three additional cluster flats at Neville Sadler Court, Beeston, was approved by the planning committee on February 13, following further discussion about the provision of more parking on the site."
A decision on the plans was previously deferred, allowing for more discussion on the provision of parking.
So the developers went back to the drawing board and decided to increase the number of planned parking spaces from 19 to 23.
The applicant is listed in the planning documents as Pontefax Ltd.
And the planning agent, on behalf of the developer, is listed as Alison Dudley, of Zenith Planning and Design.
Liberal Democrat councillor Steve Carr, who represents Beeston North on Broxtowe Borough Council, raised concerns about the increasing number of students in his ward and also in the centre of the town.
"It's a huge issue in Beeston central," he said.
"You can have some roads where there's only one family - that can't be good. While I like the students, it's great to have a thriving student community in Beeston, but when it starts to alter the demographics in the area, that's when something needs to be done.
"We are heading for a completely unbalanced community in Beeston. When it gets to that stage, that is not good for the community."
Councillor Carr also said more purpose-built student accommodation in Beeston would not free up students living in residential houses for families.
Planning documents state: "The site was part of a larger development of two-storey sheltered accommodation which was built in the 1970s.
"The whole site was acquired by Nottingham City Councilas it was needed for part of the tram route.
"Some of the blocks of flats were demolished and the remaining four blocks containing 28 flats have been vacant since they were acquired by the council.
"The original site is split across the middle by the tram line."
A separate development is planned to the south-east of the site, where 12 homes are planned - including eight two-bedroom houses and four one-bedroom houses aimed at young professionals.
[Jamie Barlow, Nottingham Post, Saturday 16 February 2019]