FINDING FROM NATIONAL PROGRAMME FOR REBUILD OF QMC & CITY HOSPITAL ANNOUNCED
 

On Friday 2 October 2020 Anna Whittaker writing in the Nottingham Post reported that it has been confirmed that Nottingham's two hospitals will benefit from a £3.7 bn programme with funding going towards a 'rebuild of both the Queen's Medical Centre and City Hospital sites'. ...

Government confirms 'rebuild' of Nottingham's hospitals with billion-pound programme

Boris Johnson announced the £3.7 billion package today

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has confirmed that Nottingham's two hospitals will benefit from a huge billion-pound programme.

Funding from a national programme worth £3.7bn will go towards a "rebuild of both the Queen's Medical Centre and City Hospital sites" with "a range of new build and refurbishment" options.

The money will support the trust's 'Tomorrow's NUH' scheme to invest in the future of both hospitals.

Funding will also go towards the Defence and National Rehabilitation Centre Stanford Hall, near Loughborough.

Nottingham Universities Hospitals NHS Trust is bidding to run the NHS side of the facility - which could lead to the closure of Linden Lodge at Nottingham City Hospital. 

The military rehabilitation centre is already based there and the plans for an NHS service on the same site are moving forward.

Exactly how much of the sites will be rebuilt has not yet been made clear but more details are expected in the coming days.

The Prime Minister today confirmed for the first time 40 hospitals that will be built by 2030 with eight further new schemes invited to bid.

Tracy Taylor, Chief Executive at Nottingham University Hospitals said: “In September 2019 we were made aware that Nottingham was part of the Government’s HIP2 scheme, and since then we have be working with our clinical teams and partners across the health system on plans for redeveloping our hospitals – we call this programme Tomorrow’s NUH. 

"We are incredibly excited to hear that we will be able to access money for our redevelopment programme, which will bring huge benefits for local people and our staff.

"We are still working on the detail of these plans and will be sharing more detail soon, with a view to going to public consultation on the plans in the summer of 2021.”

Amanda Sullivan, Accountable Officer Nottingham and Nottinghamshire CCG, said: “This is an exceptionally positive investment for our local communities and we are excited to be working on this programme of work with Nottingham University Hospital and all our partners across the patch. We are thrilled to be driving forward plans over the coming months that will support delivering the best health and care services for people living and working in Nottingham.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “The dedication and tireless efforts of our nurses, doctors and all healthcare workers have kept the NHS open throughout this pandemic. But no matter what this virus throws at us we are determined to build back better and deliver the biggest hospital building programme in a generation.

“From Morpeth to Milton Keynes, we are building 40 new hospitals across England to level up our NHS so more people have top-class healthcare services in their local area.”

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said: “We protected the NHS through the peak of Coronavirus. Today we recommit to protect the NHS for years to come with the 40 new hospitals we will build over the next decade.

“I love the NHS and I will do all I can to make sure it is there for you and your family over the years to come. The biggest hospital building programme in a generation will help protect the NHS long into the future.”

Alongside work to deliver the Government’s Manifesto commitment on 40 new hospitals, progress is also being made on delivering 50,000 more nurses, with over 14,100 more working in the NHS compared to last year, as well as over 9,200 more doctors.

Nottinghamshire Live has previously reported on NUH's ambition to optimise the "the use of the QMC through the building of a new Urgent and Emergency Care Centre and a new Women and Children’s Hospital".

Government confirms 'rebuild' of Nottingham's hospitals with billion-pound programme - Nottinghamshire Live