LEICESTER UNIVERSITY VICE-CHANCELLOR URGES STUDENTS TO STILL TAKE PLACES IN THE AUTUMN
 

On Wednesday 1 Juily 2020, BBC News Reporter Amy Woodfield wrote:

University says deferring studies 'not a safe option'

The University of Leicester's vice-chancellor has urged prospective students to still take their places in the autumn following the lockdown in the city, adding that deferring a year is not a "safe option".

Professor Nishan Canagarajah said the institution had already planned for a "local flare-up", adding he does not believe Leicester will be the only place in the country to experience an outbreak

Mr Canagarajah admitted he was "concerned" that the number of students choosing to study in Leicester this year may fall after the reintroduction of lockdown controls.

He said: "I don't think anybody should rush to make a decision. I want to reassure students in the community that there is plenty of time to control the virus.

"But I think even deferring a year is not a safe option right now, because there are limited options if you take a year out right now in terms of travel restrictions and job prospects."

Leicester will introduce a "blended" learning approach for the coming academic year, with a mix of online and face-to-face teaching.

The traditional Freshers' Week has been replaced with a virtual transition event over a number of weeks.

The university is also planning to group students in "social bubbles" by putting undergraduates on the same academic courses in the same accommodation to limit social mixing.